Sunday, January 4, 2009

I Finished!!!!

Yep, you read right. New Year's Resolution #1 is now complete. Last night, at about 1:30 AM, I finally completed the first draft of Khaladin!

I am SUPER excited right now! I finally connected the middle with the end (I had already written the last three chapters). It's done at 30K, which isn't bad, considering that most MG books are 20K-40K. I was hoping for 60K (don't know why) but I really doubt I'll have that much more to add.

Really, the first draft is all about putting down the basic feelings, creating a basic landscape, then moving on. There's plenty of time for details later, since you know you will spend a LOT of time editing.

Right now, Khaladin is complete with twenty-eight chapters. The original title for this story was "Judy and the Unicorn Herd" but that title didn't work when I revamped the story, so that title is now being used in chapter twenty-five or twenty-six.

I think.

Anyway, I have now begun the first round of edits. Khaladin is really naked in some areas with not enough detail, so I have to fix that. And the grammar. Then I have to chop things out and add some more......wait, most of you are writers. You already know all this.

7 comments:

Beth Fehlbaum, Author said...

Congrats! I know that's a great feeling!
Beth Fehlbaum, author
Courage in Patience, a story of hope for those who have endured abuse
http://courageinpatience.blogspot.com
Ch. 1 is online!

Madison said...

Yes, it really is! :D

Beth Fehlbaum, Author said...

Madison, thank you for the comment you left on my blog. My book was released Sept. 1, 2008 from Kunati Books, an independent Canadian publisher.
Beth Fehlbaum, author
Courage in Patience, a story of hope for those who have endured abuse
http://courageinpatience.blogspot.com
Ch. 1 is online!

Ray Veen said...

I've heard that publishers change many of the actual titles, so maybe yours will chane yet again. Cuz surely it's headed for publication.

Here's what my agent told me when I complained about my too-long word-count: "Ray, you handsome devil," (I'm paraphrasing), "as long as the story is the right length, the word count doesn't matter."

I've noticed you kind of worrying over your word counts, and thought I'd give you something to think about. On the writer's boards, everyone seems convinced that word count issues are the kiss of death these days. But I get the feeling that literary professionals, like my agent, are still more concerned with story. As long as you put the appropriate amount of detail into Khaladin, (not too much, not too little), I'm sure your word count is fine.

Madison said...

Thanks for the encouragement, V! Through my research I've found what you said really is true: as long as you have a great story no one's going to care how long it is. Look at Harry Potter and Twilight! OK, maybe those are bad examples since I didn't like them. :D

Anyway, it really encourages me when you say I'm headed for publication. I sure hope so. But I'm also satisfied with the knowledge that I will be happy in my writing even if I never get past the point of querying agents, which is basically where I'm at now! :D

I could see where Khaladin's title could be changed. I'm hoping The Ultimate Evil isn't. Honestly, I don't know what else I'd call that one! :D

Marian Perera said...

IMO, that's a good call on the title change.

"Judy and the Unicorn Herd" seems a bit middle-grade, and I'd expect it to be a light-hearted story. "Khaladin" is a lot more serious-sounding and older.

Madison said...

Well, it is a middle-grade story. Upper middle grade, if you want to get REALLY technical. :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the title! :D