Saturday, August 16, 2008

46K (And Hopefully Growing)

Yesterday I added 1,000 more words to The Ultimate Evil. And I became depressed because I found out that YA novels tend to be 50K-120K, and fantasy tends to be longer! But there seems to be a trend in the publishing industry right now and that is thinner books are hitting the shelves. Maybe that spells good news for me. :-)

I also found out that I might not have trouble writing a good query letter to a literary agent. Good news? Actually, it's bad! It's getting harder and harder to get your foot in the door. I found out that people are beginning to write better query letters, which means my story has to jump off the page even more to even have a chance at getting published. But that's a ways off. The only thing I can do is try to stay on top of the industry and know the ends and outs to help further my chances.

By the way, I found out that, if a publisher buys my story, I could get paid anywhere from $3,000-$6,000 with 6%-10% royalties. How's that for encouragement?

No comments: