Monday, November 3, 2008

Whatcha Gonna Do When They Come For You?

I'm talking about new story ideas. My mind is bustling with them right now....I have at least six WiPs! (For my blog buddies who don't write, that's slang for "work in progress", in case you don't know.)

And it's REALLY bad when all these ideas just seem to fall into place and you're spending more time on your laptop just typing away, lost in the different realms and levels of your imagination. You don't feel completely devoted to one story because you're not. You have to pick and choose which one you are going to devote your time to. It's like going to get ice cream and not being able to choose any flavor except for one when this particular parlor has every single flavor that you love. Decisions, decisions!

So, what I want to know is this....when you have too many ideas, what do you do? Personally, I work on all of them till I establish that connection with one and then devote all my time into completing it. So, what do you do? I wanna know!

(Story update: I have started a YA fantasy/sci-fi genre twist, something I thought I'd never do. Hope it works! Cross your fingers for me!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I go with the one that has the most potential for greatness. If i counted the works in progress in my head it'd be endless. Plus some of the more basic stories can be used inside the bigger ones. AND I would choose the story that has the most energy about it, the more excited you are about it the more the readers can.
Pick one and write hard!

Madison said...

Great advice, Sarah! Thanks!

WH said...

Interesting question. I usually decide in one of two ways. A) Which idea is more well formed in my mind, or B) I go with which one seems to be nagging at me more, trying to get expressed. Sometimes I close my eyes and clear my mind and see if something floats to the surface. A bit mystical :) Ommm.

Madison said...

Yeah, that works too. It's amazing how many different ways our writer minds work. :-)